Oil Swishing or Oil Pulling is an age old method of oral cleansing originating from Ayurvedic medicine. It is one of the most powerful and effective methods of detoxification and healing in natural medicine.
The health of our mouth is an indication of the health of our bodies. Infection and bacteria in the mouth may result in other health problems. Oil Swishing is a simple process in which the oil is swished backwards and forwards in the mouth and this has a stimulating effect on the body’s eliminatory system.
Oil Swishing may assist the healing process for tooth and gum disease, blood disorders, lung and liver disorders, heart and kidney disorders, migraines and headaches, skin ailments, gastric and intestinal problems, nervous conditions, poor memory and hormonal disorders just to name a few.
The Oil Swishing process of pushing the oil forwards and backwards through the teeth mixes the oil with saliva and activates the released enzymes, and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. This is why it is extremely important that the oil is not swallowed and you spit it out when finished. This ensures that the released toxins are not reabsorbed into the body. Many people report that the oil takes on a milky white or yellowish color. This is due to the fact that it becomes saturated with toxins and bacteria.
Steps to Oil Swishing/Oil Pulling
- Begin on an empty stomach first thing in the morning prior to eating. A glass of water, at between room temperature and warm, may assist with producing saliva.
- Put 2-3 teaspoons of organic sunflower into your mouth. Ensure the amount you use is comfortable you need to leave room for the production of saliva.
- Keep your lips closed, push and pull the oil back and forth through the teeth and gums ensuring every area in the mouth is covered.
- Do not gargle or swallow the oil. Your mouth will be full of bacteria and toxins which you do not want to reabsorb back into the body.
- Relax and swish the oil in your mouth trying to produce as much saliva as possible. 15-20 minutes is recommended, but you may wish to build up to this time. You may find that the solution turns a milky white or yellow.
- When finished, discard the oil in the bin. It is not recommended to dispose of it down the drain.
- Rinse your mouth out and you may wish to rinse with baking soda or clean with a Soladey toothbrush, plus some organic toothpaste.
- This procedure can be carried out 1- 2 times a day.
Melrose Organic Sunflower Oil is ideal for Oil Swishing
To read more about this process go to our book section to find Oil Pulling Therapy by Dr. Bruce Fife N.D.